Of course Stampin' Up!'s watercolor paper is perfect for this project, but I didn't have any (I probably do, but I can't find it in the chaos of the craft room remodel--more on that another day), so I winged it with Whisper White. It worked.
But, mostly, I wanted to see what happened when I dyed different ribbons.
First, I started with three colors of reinkers. I used Pumpkin Pie, Tangerine Tango and Raspberry Ripple. Then, I squeezed some ink in a bowl and swished around a little water until I got a tone I thought would look good. I am not scientific.
Then, I dredged the ribbon through the bowls. I found that separating the colors was best, rather than overlapping. To get the nice blending, I held the ribbon with one hand and took two fingers on the other and ran them along the ribbon until I got a nice blend. Then, I hung it up to dry.
Here's what I learned:
The crochet trim doesn't hold ink well. It took a few dips for it to really absorb the ink. Still, it's so pretty that the extra time was worth it, I thought.
The 7/16" Trim resists ink entirely. However, when I dipped it in thePacific Point and left it alone (I didn't touch it, rub it or wring it) it took on a really cool "marina" feeling. I thought it would work well with the "High Tide" DSP in the Spring Catalog.