Thursday, August 21, 2014
Guest Post: The Lab Coat Card
I'm so excited to feature a project from my friend and fellow demonstrator, Brenda White David. She needed a card, couldn't find one to CASE, so she did what any creative person would do: she designed her own!
She showed everybody this card at our monthly demonstrator meeting, and we were all excited. There are so many possibilities with the basic design (think Santa, ugly sweater, etc.)
Here are her materials list and directions. Thank you for sharing, Brenda!
Lab Coat Card
Designed by Brenda White David
Whisper White Cardstock
Pumpkin Pie Cardstock
Diagonal Score Plate
Christmas Tree Punch
1/2” Circle Punch
1” Square Punch
Word Window Punch
Cherry Cobbler Blendabilities Marker (medium shade)
Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker
1. Using the Whisper White cardstock, cut to 51⁄2” x 81⁄2”, score at 41⁄4”. Beginning 31⁄4” from the top make a cut at 31⁄8” and 31⁄4” from the score line. Snip off tail. This creates the sleeve.
2. Fold the sleeve at a diagonal toward the center of the card from the cut line.
3. Fold back 3⁄8” to create a cuff. Tack down with adhesive. (optional)
4. Unfold the sleeve. Beginning at the outside of the upper score marker, using paper snips, cut a slight arc to create the upper arm to shoulder.
5. Using the Christmas Tree punch, line the edge of the punch with the score line and punch approximately 3/4 of the way down the punch to create the v-neckline.
6. Using a scrap of Whisper White and the Christmas Tree punch, punch the full triangle shape (omit the tree stem). Cut down the middle to create two equal triangles. This creates the lapel. Snip a small “v” in each piece to create a notch in the lapel. Line the points up with the bottom of the neckline and adhere. Snip the excess off. This creates the collar.
7. On the reverse side of the cardstock, score from the bottom of the neckline to the bottom of the card.
8. Using the 1⁄2” Circle Punch and a scrap of Whisper White, punch two circles to create buttons. Adhere where desired on the scored lined created in the above step.
9. Using the 1” Square Punch and a scrap of Whisper White, punch two squares to create the pockets. Adhere one square aligned with the far right edge approximately 1⁄8” from bottom. Align the other square an equal distance from the center (toward score line) and snip off excess.
10.Using the Word Window punch and a scrap of Whisper White, punch to create a long oval. Snip the top part off. Using the medium shade of Cherry Cobbler Blendabilities marker, color approximately 1⁄2 way up from the bottom. Using the Basic Black marker, make small tick marks on the left side. This creates a test tube.
11. Fold the sleeve back toward the center and adhere. Adhere the test tube along the end of the sleeve near the center seam.
12.Using a small scrap of cardstock (any color) and the 1” Square Punch, create a small name tag (snipped approximately 1⁄4” down) and adhere it with a dimensional.
13.The finished card opens as a tri-fold card by adhering the finished “lab coat” to a folded sheet of Pumpkin Pie (cut to 51⁄2” x 81⁄2” – score at 41⁄4”), aligning the edge of the back of the Whisper White with the score line of the Pumpkin Pie.