Friday, September 19, 2014

What Have I Been Doing All Week?

I know I haven’t post any new projects this week, but there’s a good reason. My Grandma is turning 90 in less than a month, and my mom and I have been planning a big bash for her. However, it occurred to us that no bash can be big without people—duh! We forgot to make the invitations! In a frantic scurry, we made goo gobs of invitations for her this week.
Her party theme is “games”—Bingo, Scrabble, Monopoly, etc. She loves games. We didn’t have anything really “game”-themed, so we went more generic, but we still wanted her card to “pop.”

Then we saw Julie Davison’s card show up on the Stampin’ Up! Home Page on Monday. Bam! Inspiration!

Here is Julie’s project, which is just adorable:

 

And here is what we came up with (you have to excuse the retired stamp set--when you're in a pinch, you gotta use what you gotta use!):

I love the DSP, and this is a great way to show it off in a really quick and easy way. The dimensions for each layer are:

bottom layer: ¾ inch X 4 inches
middle layer: ¾ inch by 3 ½ inches
top layer: ¾ inch by 3 inches

The candles are just ½ inch strips with the Bird Builder Wing as the flame. Of course every card needs a little bling, and that's where the Dazzling Diamonds Glitter around the flame came in. After making these emasse and hearing my mom say the word "flame" repeatedly, someone needs to get "Eternal Flame" out of my head. I'm gonna scream!

For the spiral, we just took the 2 ½ inch circle punch and cut a spiral all the way to the center. We learned two things:

1. You can cut more than one spiral at a time
2. The narrower you cut the spiral, the less tension in the card and the easier it is to open.

Finally, we punched the stars using our Itty Bitty Accents Punch Pack and glue dots. 

I hope Grandma and all her friends like it!

 Here is the supply list:


Thanks for looking today! Don't forget to check out my Christmas-in-a-Box kit and my Stamp of the Week link!



No comments:

Post a Comment