Friday, February 6, 2015

A Winning Swap Card Guest Blog

I am thrilled to show off a winning swap project from our demonstrator meeting on Tuesday night. I'm excited because it's a great project but also because my MOM designed it. Go mom!

As a demonstrator, we go to meetings every month to meet with other demonstrators to share techniques, make projects using new products and swap cards (jealous? You can join my team!). The swap is optional, but I always do it. It's a great way to see what other people are doing and take home examples of their art!

The swap goes like this: everyone who wants to participate signs up. We each design one card and replicate it for the number of people who signed up. Then, we all go home with one of each person's design. COOL!

During our meeting, we all vote for our favorite card (all the entries are anonymous at this point). And . . . .

My mom won! Yay, mom!  
So, here is her winning card:





Isn't that cool? Here is her description and material list:

The tricky part is cutting the base. You want your card to be 4¼” x 5½” but if you use that measurement on your Envelope Punch Board you will end up with a card that is ⅛” too large all around since the sizes on your Envelope Punch Board are for your card size, not your envelope size. So what you really need to do is cut an envelope that is 4” x 5¼” but that isn't a size that’s offered on the chart. This would be a problem if it were not for this dandy site I found:

Thanks to Carole in Oxfordshire UK, who posted a “Crafty Envelope Punch Board Calculator” on her website. Bookmark this site! I sure did because the alternative is trial and error and when I used that method I still didn’t come up with the right dimensions and went through a pile of copy paper.

After plugging in my dimensions on Carole’s calculator, I found that my paper size should be 7⅝” with a score line of 3⅜”. After cutting out my envelope (which is about to become a card) I just cut off the short flaps and, Voila! a card base that will fit into a standard-sized envelope!

Now all you have to do is decorate. 

I went with a flower theme and used the Flower Patch photopolymer stamp set (134207 $25.95) with the coordinating Flower Fair Framelits (133731 $24.95) for the flowers on the front and inside as well as the sentiment. 

The DSP on the inside is Lullaby (133695 $10.95). To carry through on the dot theme, I used the circle stamp from Work of Art (134114 $21.95) on the front flaps. 

I held the flower together with a Candy Dot Brad Base (132293 $2.95) with a large Rhinestone Basic Jewel instead of a Candy Dot.

Finally, to make your flaps close, use your bone folder to really smush down the edges.


And not only do the swap winners get the honor of "Best Swap" title, we get to pick out a prize. Mom got silver foil sheets. Cool!

Thanks for checking in today. I hope you're inspired to try something new!

Until next time, stay crafty!

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment