Thursday, September 4, 2014

Birthday in a Box

When our daughter's best friend, Emma, was having her birthday party last weekend, we knew we had to make her something special. I had just played with the Christmas card-in-a-box, so my next thought was a birthday card-in-a-box. 

Emma's favorite color is purple, but not just any purple, according to Annie. It had to be a rich, deep purple, so Rich Razzleberry was our choice. For the DSP, we chose Park Lane. It’s SO sophisticated. I mean, she is turning 10, after all.


Since her name is short, I thought it would be fun to have it pop out of the box. That way, this project can be more than just a card that she puts in a drawer after the party. It could be a room decoration. Double duty! I love that!

 I photographed this sucker from all angles:






I made the balloons with the Small Oval Punch and the Owl Builder Punch.

Wait, what?

Yes, that’s right! Seriously, that Owl Builder Punch is the BOMB!

The bottom of the balloon is the foot of the owl (or the claw, if you want to get specific!). I used the leftover heart from the owl punch and put it at the bottom of the sentiment. To give the balloons more dimension, I sponged around the outside of each one. I attached a bit of baker's twine to the back of the balloon, and because I'm crazy like that, I put another oval behind to cover it up.

I was so happy with how it turned out. Emma was pretty excited, too!


I love the surprise factor of this card!




Everybody is checking out how it works--little sister Lexie on the right is particularly excited!



I love these sweet girls!

Thanks for looking. If you are interested in learning more about how to make this box, let me know. Maybe I can get a kit for this one going, just like the Christmas-in-a-box kit. We'll see . . .


Check back later today for the next installment in Holiday Home Week!


No comments:

Post a Comment