Monday, December 8, 2014

Creative Blog Hop: Lego Chima!

I am thrilled to participate in the Creative Blog Hop with Julie Davison and Susan LaCroix! Today, like most days, I have a project to share that is directly related to my life: a Lego Chima card.

As part of the Blog Hop, I am to define my “Creative Style.” Oh, I have a style. I’d like to call it “Rustic Chic” or something cool like that, but very few of my projects reflect this style because my life isn't about me right now. It’s about my kids, my family, my charity, my friends and my customers. So my real design style is “Mommy Crafter,” and I’m all over it.

1. What are you working on?
Whether it’s designing decorations for my grandma’s 90th birthday party, creating tags for my cousin’s Dog Rescue Christmas Tree, my Kids’ 12 Days of Christmas Teacher Gifts or my Charity’s “Breakfast with Santa,” I keep busy crafting. I don’t lament not being able to create designs in my “unique” style because I love a challenge, I like variety, and I like being able to provide these amazing gifts for all the people around me who need it. Plus, I don’t think my “Rustic Chic” style translates to a Lego party.

2.  How does your work differ from others in your genre?
My blog recounts the daily joys of the "crafting mom" and how Stampin’ Up! enriches my life to solve the creative dilemmas placed on me (and all us crafty gals). Of course I create projects for my stamp clubs and customers, but most of my blog posts are about what to do when real life collides with my crafting life. 

3.  Why do you create what you do?

Out of sheer necessity and joy.

4.  How does your creative process work?
Usually, a child or desperate friend will ask me a half-hour before something is needed. I can't overthink anything. Most of my creative works is not hands-on. It's mental. While I'm throwing the pasta in the boiling water or vacuuming the carpet, I'm thinking through what I can do, troubleshoot, etc. before I even head to my craft-room oasis. Sometimes, I collaborate with my partners in crime. If it's the kids, I ask them what they need, what they want it to look like, etc. Why should I do all the work, right? Then, I take the idea they've given me and I embellish and play with it until I get the "wow" factor I'm looking for.

And today's project is no different. If you’re within 20 miles of a six-year-old boy (or turn on the TV—even by mistake) any morning, you will know what Lego Chima is. If you don’t, just stop reading now. Please, stop reading and save yourself the trouble of learning about the Lions (“good guys”) and the Crocs (“bad guys”—except that Cragger is now a “good guy” gone bad who we really should sympathize with).

If you’re still reading, then check out this awesomeness! Ok, so Henry (my son) is all into Chima. ALL into Chima. So, as a result, all his friends are all into Chima too. When his little friend, Cael, invited Henry to his birthday, we were all over the Lego Chima kits.

But what present is complete without a card? This is where the Mommy Crafter gets to work. I asked Henry what kind of card to make. He wanted me to make Laval out of paper Legos. Like, he really wanted me to make Legos out of cardstock and then create a Laval out of them. Yeah right, kid!

After I finished laughing at him, I got a Laval face and copied it with paper. This is what I came up with:




I know! I know! I'm so proud of this one.

I used lots of punches for him (the list is below). I colored the rhinestone with the lightest of my Daffodil Delight Blendabilites (TIP: You know that you can use our alcohol-based Blendabilities to color things like Rhinestones, right?!)


The cardstock colors are Whisper White (nose/eyes), Very Vanilla (face), Soft Suede (headdress), Cherry Cobbler (hair), Pacific Point (Chi chain), Soft Sky (Chi center), Night of Navy (cape) and Gold Foil (crown and Chi medallion). Here are the other supplies:
I hope you enjoyed today’s project. If you want to follow my daily adventures as a crafting mom, please subscribe and get reminder emails every time I post. 

Stay tuned for more projects today (the Third Day of Christmas!). But first, you should hop on over to the next stop: Susan LaCroix! Click below to "hop to it!"

 

Until next time, stay crafty!

Alison





No comments:

Post a Comment