Friday, February 12, 2016

Valentine Teacher Gift Paper Pumpkin Rescue

If you follow me, you know I have two kiddos. This is Annie's last year in Elementary school, and she is having a hard time dealing with that. Poor kid. I want to make these last few months especially memorable, both for her and her teachers (who are ah-mazing!!). 

Annie knows her teacher's favorite drink is Dr. Pepper, and she remembered that Hy-Vee had Valentine candy bouquets with soda bases. Okaaayy. I thought that sounded really weird, but I trusted her. Last night (after her new middle school open house, no less), we ran over to Hy-Vee to see these candy bouquet things. You know what? 

They were pretty darn cute!


But . . .

No Dr. Pepper or Diet Coke (for Henry's teacher). I stared at these bouquets, my head tilted to the right, and my Eric says, "What? You're thinking of making it yourself, aren't you?"

I love him.

I ended up with lemonade and not soda. Here's why: The only kind of single-serve soda a person can buy is in a plastic bottle. Plastic and hot glue do not jive.

When I saw this feisty little lemon face, I was sold.


What a spunky little guy! I bought two of him and a bag of 3 Musketeers

Here is what you will need to replicate this nifty gift:

1. A drink (in glass or metal container--no plastic!)
2. Bag of individually wrapped candy
3. Curling ribbon
4. Hot glue gun and glue

This is how it came together:

Step 1:
Hot glue the candies to the bottle lid. One bag of 3 Musketeers had 21 mini candy bars. I divided them evenly (um, did I say 21? I meant 20). I used 6 on the lower row and 4 in a tent shape on top. I was generous with the glue. I'm not sure what these chocolate candies will look like when they're opened, but they look good now.


Step 2:
Stamp your tag. I was so excited that divine intervention shined down on me last night in the beverage aisle. I mean, purely by chance, I ended up with a lemonade drink when at home I had the perfect stamp to coordinate!! 

I stamped the lemon from "Apple of My Eye"
in So Saffron and then "Rock and Rolled"
in Pink Pirouette to give it that pink tinge. 

The sentiment is stamped in Wild Wasabi
Then the paper banner strips are from this 
month's Paper Pumpkin.
Step 3:

Adorn with curling ribbon as desired. I used Christmas ribbon that I still haven't packed up. Do not judge me. 




Thank you for looking today! I am always delighted to hear from you. If you're local, please check out my "Local Events" page. If you're not, well, darn it. But, if you place an order with me, I will be sure to send you a lovely gift as a "Thank You."

Have a super day!

Until next time, stay crafty!

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment